Associate General Counsel - Office of the General Counsel
- Tracking Code: S1294
- Job Description
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is pleasing to God and edifying to one another.
This position is responsible for assisting the General Counsel in providing a high level of professional legal service by representing and advising the University on a broad range of legal matters and by guiding the University in developing and implementing policies and programs to insure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- A J.D. from an ABA accredited law school.
- Five (5) years experience in two or more of the following areas: higher education law, nonprofit / religious corporation governance, commercial transactions and contract review, employment law, and litigation management.
- Must be a member in good standing with the State Bar of California or able to become a member within one year.
- Experience in advising on corporate risk management and regulatory compliance is preferred.
- Provides advice to enable the University to conduct business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Designs and delivers appropriate compliance training/education to University community areas.
- Provides advice to key leaders and administrators on legal matters affecting the University.
- Supervise outside counsel and others representing the University in litigation or claims.
- Drafts, negotiates and reviews contracts, including those for professional services, procurement, clinical practice, software licensing, and construction.
- Serves as a key resource to the university leadership on matters of risk management.
- Serves as a legal advisor around significant employee relations and labor relations matters.
- Drafts proposed policies and works collaboratively with key leaders to seek the adoption of such policies.
- Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on department needs.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the General Counsel.
- This position requires excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal / relationship-building skills.
- Strong legal research abilities
- Analytical, advocacy and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work collegially in a diverse and complex environment.
- This position interacts periodically with senior level administration.
- Ability to communicate effectively, written and verbal, in a friendly, patient, and professional manner.
- Manage several projects simultaneously while making sound decisions.
- Work well with deadline pressures and distractions.
- High initiative with the ability to work independently.
- Ability to exercise confidentiality and discretion.
- Logical problem solving ability with focus attuned to client’s needs and goals.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing circumstances.
- Continuous sitting four-six hours/day.
- Repetitive wrist, finger motions related to computer usage.
- Hearing, talking on the telephone.
- Able to reach, grasp, bend, pull, lift up to twenty pounds.
- Reading, computer monitor.
- Pleasant office setting, comfortable temperature.
- Proficiency in legal research platforms (Lexis Nexis and Westlaw) and Microsoft programs, including Word and Excel.
- Working knowledge of Google Docs.
- Grade 23: $134,848 - $175,303 annually
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Job Location:
- Azusa, United States
- Position Type: